Are you focusing on the right things to build resilient leaders and a sustainable culture today?
“Your intentions, energy, and presence guide your impact. Your focus today builds your leadership and culture today and tomorrow. Are you clear?” This is a question I used to ask clients. I still do. It’s still true, and the stakes feel higher today, don’t they? A year ago, the IEP work was predominately about optimization of leadership and culture (some triage, and not as much). Today, my conversations are all about “burnout, leadership depression, leadership nourishment, change management, creating sustainability, cultural dis-ease, resiliency, leadership gaps, team/relational stress, ambiguity and anxiety, grief, loss, cultural disconnection, sheltering in place, RIFs, relentless demands on time and attention, and, of course, ‘How do I manage working from home while my kids and dog drag each other around the floor behind me on my Zoom calls and I literally feel like I cannot give one thing more?'” Many leaders and organizations are not in optimization mode anymore, and those who are, are now navigating how to meet the demands of this time remotely, how to keep their culture healthy, and how to support those they love and lead who are more directly or negatively impacted by these things. We’re figuring this pandemic thing out together, we’re learning who we are and deciding who we will become, and we’re taking one step at a time (and some leaps) as we learn how to build and expand our leadership, organizations, and culture in a remote world. How about you? How are you? I made some guesses…
Below are some of our core offerings in the areas I’m focusing on in 2021. In addition to doing private executive work again, I am happy to meet with your team or organization via virtual “fireside” chats, experiential talks, or short training sessions. Our “accelerator” cohorts (listed below) offer deeper dive integration over time in the areas of leadership, culture, and resiliency. And if you’re interested in my partnership model that offers organizations ongoing support and access to this work in multiple ways (pandemic friendly), let me know.
Areas of expertise:
- The IEP Methodology and strengthening your IEP (as an individual and team) to lead more effectively and sustainably
- Navigating, partnering with, and managing change, burnout, and overwhelm
- Expanding culture and building high-performing connected teams in a remote world
- Building personal and leadership resiliency, congruency, and power
- Honoring and tending to the gap between leadership nourishment and leadership depression
- Cultural triage and optimization: identifying which, cost/benefiting each, then healing or optimizing
- Strengthening personal leadership, authorship, and presence to inspire real talk, safety, and collaboration
- Rising from the ashes as an individual leader, as a team, and as an organization…
See below for most current keynote, talks, and sessions addressing some of these areas. (After words from our partners.)
My favorite speaker of any session I’ve ever sat in!!! She was excellent! Very relevant, useful and engaging information shared. Her knowledge translates to any industry and I plan to learn more from her. She represented everything she spoke about. Every one of the 45 minutes was valuable!!! Amazing speaker, even more amazing message. Love sessions like this! I can’t say enough good things about her!! Please bring her back. Without a doubt my favorite session at this year’s event!
We were fortunate to have Anese as our keynote speaker for our annual WIRexec conference in SF. The content was essential for leadership today, especially as women in leadership out to create a great impact in their lives and organizations. Her talk brought us back to ourselves in recognizing our presence as impact in today’s world, the necessity of self-care in showing up, and the gift of refocusing ourselves on ourselves in order to create that impact. I’d highly recommend Anese for any keynote where you want inspiration and application in the moment that follows people home and sticks. Months after our conference, people are still talking about her message. She brings a level of authenticity and inspiration to this conversation that is a gift in today’s “richly scheduled” world.
Anese Cavanaugh captivated a group of managers and line level employees at my company with her talk about the infectious nature of energy in an organization. She’s any company’s secret weapon for achieving profound, permanent results from the inside out…
I work with some of the world’s top thought leaders, founders, and visionary executives. In every case, Intentional Energetic Presence is key to their remarkable impact. Anese’s ability to catalyze change is a unique superpower: I’ve seen her teachings transform rooms within minutes, and her presence in my life has profoundly influenced it for the better.
Anese took the stage at the Small Giants Summit in 2018 and delivered a powerful & impactful presentation on IEP and intentional leadership. Her style, way of connecting with the audience and content is exceptional. It was one of the highest rated sessions of the summit!
We can’t change the world unless we change ourselves, but that’s much easier said than done. Anese’s workshop helped us accomplish more self-change in four hours than most of us are able to do in four years! We host a lot of workshops for our students here at University of Michigan, but this one might be the best yet.
I have attended Anese Cavanaugh workshops and speaking engagements for several years now. I think of Anese as one of the greatest gifts to my life and my business. She is not just amazing but almost magical in the way she teaches you a different way to look at and use your energy and your presence and how powerful and transforming that can be. The Women’s Council of REALTORS has had her as a speaker for several of our events. Our membership absolutely loved her, and she held the attention of the room for 90 minutes. They were all spellbound and the evaluations were beyond excellent. I have heard from so many members that she changed their life. If you are looking for a speaker to change your culture to a more positive way to think, act and respond, Anese is the only one I know of with this superpower. Anese is real, she walks the talk… intentional, engaging, authentic, and pure magic.
Anese is an utter delight. Amazing storyteller. Impactful philosophy. Charismatic and engaging. Absolutely incredible. Walked away feeling inspired and empowered. The way she explained her information was in such an engaging, easy-to-understand way. Loved this session. The energy and mindset were incredible. The room burst out into the loudest applause I’ve heard so far. The poem was fantastic. I can’t wait to read her books.
Anese is also one of the most dynamic speakers I’ve seen (and I’ve seen quite a few). Her energy is contagious, authentic, practical and absolutely inspirational. Every time I see her speak to packed houses, I walk away with a renewed energy to show up and do good in this world!
Your ability to connect with the crowd and relate the topic at hand to our real lives put you at the top of the list for favorite session in participant feedback. People were literally going into sessions afterwards using your acronyms. Thank you for your time, energy, and commitment to this work.
…I’ve worked with her 1:1, I’ve been in her sessions, and I’ve been in her audiences when she’s keynoted and rocked the room – and in every engagement, I’ve walked away inspired, more present, and with tangible things to put into play immediately.
Current Keynotes, Talks, & Sessions:
I love a good old-fashioned organic talk where I speak from-the-heart and in the moment on whatever topic will serve your group most, or you and I chat unscripted and just real “on stage.” And, I also like crafting experiences specific to common challenges and opportunities. Hence the following core offerings and focus areas. Note that I am still delighted to speak about Contagious You, Contagious Culture, Sheep Happens, and The Leader You Will Be (see speaker sheets at the bottom of this page), and I’ve crafted these specific 4 talks to support people now as we navigate the impact of the pandemic.
These experiences can be done via a 50-minute talk, a 2-hour experiential session, or an even shorter “fireside” organic chat to discuss in a way that suits your team and culture. The depth of content will depend upon the format (ie. fireside chats will be lighter and focus on the bullets you feel most essential to you). Every talk has optional books, tools, frameworks, and resources participants can walk away with to support their learning and keep the work alive. We’ll co-design what is best for your needs when we meet. (If you want to get started now, please fill out this form and we’ll make it so.)
Leadership Resiliency: Rebooting It, Rebuilding It, and Cultivating It Now
Usually, we hit a hard bump (or five), get through it, recover, build our resiliency a bit more and then move forward stronger. The magic is in the recovery time. However, our current “moment” in time is anything but “usual,” providing little resting ground for reboots, recovery, and catching our breath. While we have little control of external events, we can build our resiliency, and we can intentionally move forward together. This session addresses resiliency (and the contagious nature of it), leadership nourishment, the mindset and honoring of the “real” required to get through challenging times, and creating a sustainable (and authentic) path forward.
In the experiential 2-hour session you will:
- Assess your level of resiliency, your need for a reboot, and what you need NOW
- Learn The 7 Ps of Personal Burnout and identify your most susceptible three
- Learn the IEP Method® to up-level your intentions, energy, presence, and ability to “hold your space” and create impact
- Learn how to prioritize the essential, what can wait (or release), and how to communicate priorities, commitments, and expectations with your people
- Explore your definition of, and possibly new measurements and criteria for, success
- Create your plan to move forward and to use as a guide as you lead yourself and your team into the next…
Expanding and Building Teams, Talent, Trust, and Culture in a Remote World
Ever-increasing virtual connectedness and distractions, demands and responsibilities, and new challenges require leadership and a workplace culture that is collaborative, productive, inclusive, healthy, engaged, and usefully contagious. Conscious leaders and connected teams are essential to creating positive financial impact, business results, and high-performance cultures. While this can be harder working remotely, it is possible. How you navigate the challenges of today with your team and culture, will determine the impact you have and where you land tomorrow.
In the experiential 2-hour session you will:
- Assess the current state of your team and cultural health, the financial (and trust) impact of it, and how you might personally be contributing to it
- Learn tools, frameworks, language, and agreements to improve collaboration, open communication, navigate conflict, create safety, and nurture an inclusive sustainable healthy culture that people can count on, feel safe and seen in, and be inspired by
- Learn the 5-Steps to Intentional Impact Framework from the IEP Method® to help you prepare individually and as a team for any meeting, conversation, or presentation
- Decide what kind of shifts will be most useful for your team in remote work so that everyone can participate flexibly, effectively, and congruently, in their own well-being and performance management
- Create your plan to open this discussion with your team in a way that inspires leadership and collaboration and expands team health
The 7Ps of Personal & Organizational Burnout: Identifying, Addressing, and Reshaping Them
In Contagious Culture I wrote about the 7Ps of organizational burnout, in Contagious You, I wrote about the 7Ps of personal burnout. Some of the Ps overlap, and since writing those books – and with the Pandemic – there are more. Burnout is the number one thing I see people dealing with right now — and it is relentless — so in this talk, we dig in. This topic is so crucial to our well-being and leadership that both accelerator cohorts (below) have burnout modules included in them so if you want to do work on this over time, please consider joining or hosting a cohort.
In the experiential 2-hour session you will:
- Assess your current level of burnout (there are 5 levels) and create a plan to move forward authentically and realistically
- Learn The 7Ps of Organizational and Personal Burnout AND identify your CORE FOUR susceptibilities
- Learn the IEP Method® (all three components) to help you proactively work with burnout, transform it, or recover from it
- Create your Personal Partnership Plan with my new exercise and formula for navigating burnout (or “getting in front of it” altogether)
- Determine boundaries, hard stops, criteria, and communication necessary to partner with yourself more intentionally
- Change your relationship with leadership and self-care to build resiliency and transform “busy,” burnout, and overwhelm quickly
- Create an action plan for leadership nourishment, getting support, and discerning next steps
RIF, RESET, RISE: Using Change and Loss to Show Up Clearer, Stronger, Wiser, Better
Whatever is happening in your life right now, whether you’ve just facilitated a RIF or exited because of one, or you’re recovering from a loss, change, disappointment, or something you wouldn’t have planned for yourself, there is gold in it. In all of it. (Though I 100% know it may not feel like it NOW.) The question is how do you navigate it now? How do you give yourself full permission to process the loss (or disappointment), to learn from it, to reboot, and to rise even stronger because of it? Whether your reset is personal or professional, we’ll dig into these questions, provide frameworks and stories to support you on your path, and we’ll move forward together.
In the experiential 2-hour session you will:
- Assess your current situation, your authentic emotion around it, and your needs NOW
- Capture the learning from your situation (or get started on it) that will support your forward movement and growth
- Learn new frames, language, and principles to help you authentically extract the gifts and learning from your situation
- Create an inventory of your personal magic, your life experience, and your criteria for making decisions on your “next”
- Create an action plan, integrating the IEP Method® that will help you rebuild your energetic field and ability to create intentional impact so you can move forward clearer, stronger, wiser, better
Talk Enhancements: Impact Accelerators & Immersion Experiences for Teams
- Remote Team & Culture Building Cohort: Build your team and cultural leadership, create the “collaborative container” of your team, and cultivate a sustainable healthy culture (7 weeks)
- Leadership, Presence, & Resiliency Cohort: Build your leadership presence and congruency, strengthen personal resiliency, and expand your leadership skillset (5 weeks)
These cohorts are led virtually (60-90 minutes/week) and can be done as an add-on to a special keynote or as a stand-alone for your organization or team. If you are interested, please inquire.
For speaking engagements, leadership and/or culture cohorts, and team sessions in 2021, please contact us:
- California State Chapter of the Women’s Council of Realtors
- Chamber of Commerce
- Digital Mastermind
- Education Equals Partnership
- Emerging Women
- Freeman Corporation
- Hubspot InBound
- The Sam Bernstein Law Firm
- Ensign Services
- Sacramento Sheriff’s Department
- The Culture Conference
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals
- CISC Leadership Symposium
- Women in Research Execs (WIRe)
- University of Michigan Business
- KP San Diego
- Inc Women’s Summit
- Joie de Vivre
- McDonald’s Employee Development Conference
- Kaiser Permanente
- Brandman University
- Symposia SF
- CORE Leadership
- University of Michigan
- Tustin Unified School District
- INBOUND (4x speaker!)
- BNY Mellon
- USC Marshall
- NAWBO SF
- Red Mountain Retreat
- Henry Ford Health System
- Small Giants Organization
- Stanford D-School
- State of Wisconsin
- Tru University at Stanford Business School
- YGO Parent Leadership Conference
- Sound Community Services
- Zingerman’s Community of Businesses
- SAI Iowa
- Government Sector
- Healthcare Private Practice
- Domaine Carneros
- Multiple Education Conferences
- GM Financial
- BiRite Market / COB
For speaking engagements and private events in 2021, contact us:
If you need photos, quotes, bio info, or videos for press purposes visit the press page here.
Pre-COVID Speaker Sheets are available for download below. These can all be converted to virtual talks.